I think I have an addiction to buying fabric. It’s one of my favourite parts of the quilt making process, searching for the perfect material for that quilt and undoubtedly finding some extra that I really need on the way!
I’ve finally finished making a zebra quilt that I have been working on for the last 100 years! This was partly because I wanted to make sure that the pattern I had designed was exactly as I’d had it in my head, but also I have developed a new thumb dislocation which makes hand-sewing somewhat harder than usual!
I recently posted a photo of a bumble bee quilt that I’d made for someone on my Facebook page (Quilty as Sin). In the centre of the quilt was a bee that I had appliqued on to some fabric and then patchworked it into the rest of the quilt. A few people asked me to explain how I did it, so while I was making a new quilt, I took photos as I went through the different stages and hopefully I’ll be able to explain properly how I made it.
At the moment I’m working on a superking sized quilt, which had proved to take a lot longer than I’d anticipated! But I’m finally at the wadding stage, but I’ve found nowhere in the house large enough to get it straight and properly flat to be ready for quilting. So I’ve taken over a superking bed and will be finishing the rest of the quilt right here.
This has definitely been a labour of love, but so far I’m really pleased with it. I just hope the end product will please it’s owner just as much!
Today I tracked down one of Europe’s earliest known quilts from the 13th century. It is on display at the V&A. As you can see from the photo it is pretty impressive… I think I could learn a thing or two from the seamstresses of yore. It is thought that this enormous bed cover was made to celebrate a marriage between the Acciaiuoli and Guicciardini families. It depicts fourteen episodes of Tristan, a hero of medieval romance literature – evidently an early Mills & Boon!