Oh no, my New Years Resolution seems to have failed miserably!
I’ve been awful at updating and writing posts. I won’t give too many excuses here, I’ll save that for my other blog (quiltyassineds.wordpress.com).
For now, look what I’ve been obssessed with recently – sock animals. It amazes me what can be made out of a pair of socks! Now, I’ve not been making these to sell, as I have used the patterns from a fantastic blog/website called Craft Passion, but I’ve been making them as gifts for small people, and they’ve been going down really well!
I mentioned in my earlier blog New Ideas that I was going to start giving some new thing a go. So I’ve made my first cushion! There are definitely a few things that need to be tweaked, I made the cushion cover slightly to small for the size cushion. A rooky mistake! As you can see from the photo, the back doesn’t quite meet – quite an important part!
I chose to make an envelope back cushion, with french seams which I made completely by hand. I used patchwork squares for the front, using a border of green squares around the edge. I recently made a woodland themed quilt for a giveaway winner on my Facebook page, so I took inspiration from that and continued it on with the cushion. I also used interface on the fabric to give it a thicker, more luxurious feel.
I’d never heard of weighted blankets, or weighted anything for that matter, until the lovely Mandy from Handmade by Mandy on Facebook messaged me a few months ago. She mentioned that she’d bought a weighted blanket a while ago but had really struggled with finding one that looked as good as it (hopefully) worked. She suggested that I look into them and see if I could incorporate the weight into some of my quilts. It sounded like a fab idea, but I definitely needed to look into it further so that I knew I would be able to make them properly.
I recently posted a photo of a bumble bee quilt that I’d made for someone on my Facebook page (Quilty as Sin). In the centre of the quilt was a bee that I had appliqued on to some fabric and then patchworked it into the rest of the quilt. A few people asked me to explain how I did it, so while I was making a new quilt, I took photos as I went through the different stages and hopefully I’ll be able to explain properly how I made it.
So the last few weeks I’ve been super busy trying to get quilts made for a deadline. I’ve got just one more to go now and I’m at the quilting stage so I thought I’d take 5 minutes to show you a fab blog
I particularly like the fabric buying guides section that they have (I have a bit of an addiction to fabric) but it’s definitely worth a browse!
Now back to sewing…….